People age 17 and over usually start with a Riomet dosing of 500 mg (5 mL), taken twice daily, or 850 mg (8.5 mL), taken once daily. The recommended starting dosage for children ages 10 to 16 is 500 mg (5 mL), taken twice a day. For those who are also taking insulin, Riomet dosing typically starts at 500 mg (5 mL), taken once a day.
The dose of Riomet® (metformin oral solution) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you do to so.
Riomet dosing guidelines for the treatment of type 2 diabetes varies with age, as follows:
- Ages 10 to 16 -- The starting dose of Riomet is 500 mg (5 mL), taken twice a day. The maximum dose for people in this age group is 2000 mg (20 mL) per day, divided into two or three doses.
- Ages 17 and over -- The starting dose is Riomet 500 mg (5 mL), taken twice a day, or 850 mg (8.5 mL), taken once a day. The maximum dose for people in this age group is 2550 mg (25.5 mL) daily, divided into two or three doses per day.
The starting dose of Riomet for people taking insulin is 500 mg (5 mL), taken once daily. The maximum total daily dose for people taking insulin is Riomet 2500 mg (25.5 mL). Usually, when adding Riomet to insulin, you should continue with your normal insulin dose.