Onglyza Side Effects
Some of the most common side effects that have been reported with Onglyza include headaches, vomiting, and upper respiratory tract infection. While most side effects of the medication are mild, some are potentially serious and require medical attention (such as frequent infections or allergic reactions).
An Introduction to Onglyza Side Effects
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Onglyza™ (saxagliptin). However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Onglyza. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Onglyza side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Onglyza
Onglyza has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking Onglyza were documented and compared to side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients).
This way, it is possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compare to the group taking a different medication.
In these studies, the most common side effects with Onglyza (that occurred more commonly with Onglyza than with the placebo) included:
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold) -- in up to 7.7 percent of people
- Urinary tract infection (UTI), such as a bladder infection -- up to 6.8 percent
- Headaches -- up to 6.5 percent
- Sinus infection and irritation -- up to 2.9 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 2.4 percent
- Irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines (gastroenteritis) -- up to 2.3 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 2.3 percent.