The recommended dosage of Onglyza for the treatment of type 2 diabetes is 2.5 or 5 mg once a day. However, some people may require a lower dosage. The standard dose for people with moderate to severe kidney disease (such as kidney failure) is 2.5 mg once daily.
Onglyza Dosage: An Introduction
The dose of Onglyza™ (saxagliptin) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Recommended Onglyza Dosing
The recommended Onglyza dose for treating type 2 diabetes in most adults is 2.5 or 5 mg once daily. No dosage adjustment is required for people with mild kidney disease. The recommended dosage for people with moderate to severe kidney disease (such as kidney failure) is 2.5 mg once daily.
Some medications can increase the level of Onglyza in the bloodstream. For people taking such medications, the recommended dosage of Onglyza is 2.5 mg daily (see Onglyza Interactions for more information).
General Information on Dosing With Onglyza
Some considerations for people taking Onglyza include the following:
- Onglyza comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- The medication can be taken with or without food.
- You can take Onglyza at any time of the day; however, you should try to take it at the same time every day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Onglyza dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.