As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Nesina (alogliptin). However, there have not been any reported cases of an overdose on this drug. If you think you have taken too much, seek urgent medical care. An overdose on this drug may be treated with activated charcoal or other supportive treatment options to manage any symptoms that occur.
Nesina® (alogliptin) is a prescription diabetes medication. As with any medicine, it is possible to take too much Nesina. The specific effects of an overdose would vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Nesina dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
At this time, it is not entirely known what to expect from a Nesina overdose. There have been no reported cases of an overdose occurring.
In clinical trials, single doses as high as 800 mg (32 times the usual recommended dose) did not cause any serious problems in people who were otherwise healthy. Doses of 400 mg given for 14 days to people with type 2 diabetes also did not cause serious problems.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for a Nesina overdose may include fluids through an intravenous (IV) line and close monitoring of the heart, heart rate, and blood pressure. Hemodialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Nesina from the body.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.