Diabetes Home > Victoza Alternatives

Oral diabetes medications and other injectable diabetes drugs are some of the alternatives to Victoza (liraglutide) your healthcare provider may recommend if this medication is not working well enough, or if you are experiencing unbearable side effects. Weight loss, dietary changes, and other lifestyle changes are recommended for all people with type 2 diabetes. These alone may help keep blood sugar levels under control.

Are There Alternatives to Victoza?

Victoza® (liraglutide) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is part of a group of diabetes medications called incretin mimetics. Victoza is generally effective in treating diabetes, and most people tolerate it well.
However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur, or the medicine may not be adequately effective. Fortunately, there are several potential Victoza substitutes for type 2 diabetes.
Some of these Victoza alternatives include:
  • Lifestyle changes
  • Other injectable diabetes medications
  • Oral diabetes medications.

Lifestyle Changes for Type 2 Diabetes

Many lifestyle changes have been shown to be effective for controlling type 2 diabetes, especially early type 2 diabetes. These lifestyle changes include weight loss, becoming more physically active (see Diabetes and Exercise), and changes in diet (see Diabetic Diet). In fact, these changes are important for all people with type 2 diabetes, including people taking diabetes drugs.
For some people, however, lifestyle changes alone may not be enough to adequately control type 2 diabetes. For these people, diabetes medication may be necessary.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.