Diabetes Home > Symlin Overdose
The effects of a Symlin overdose will vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs. Common symptoms include severe nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Treatment options for a Symlin overdose may include administering fluids through an intravenous line and careful monitoring of the heart and blood pressure.
Symlin Overdose: An IntroductionSymlin® (pramlintide acetate) is a prescription medication that has been approved to treat type 1 and type 2 diabetes. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Symlin. Overdose effects will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Symlin was taken and whether it was taken with other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Symlin, seek immediate medical attention.
- Severe nausea
Treatment for a Symlin OverdoseGiven that there have been so few cases of people taking too much Symlin, it is not known what the best treatment is for an overdose. Treatment may involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Symlin overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Careful monitoring of the heart and blood pressure
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on Symlin.