Diabetes Home > Prandin Alternatives

Prandin alternatives for the treatment of type 2 diabetes include lifestyle changes (like losing weight and exercising more), other oral diabetes medications, and insulin or other injectable medications. Other medications used to treat type 2 diabetes include sulfonylureas, biguanides, and meglitinides. If troublesome side effects occur, or if your diabetes is not adequately controlled with Prandin, alternatives may be considered.

Prandin Alternatives: An Overview

Prandin® (repaglinide) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. The drug is generally effective in treating diabetes, and most people tolerate it well. However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur, or the medicine may not completely control diabetes. In these cases, Prandin alternatives are available.
Some of these alternatives include:

Prandin Alternatives: Oral Diabetes Medicines

Fortunately, many different types of oral diabetes drugs are available to treat type 2 diabetes, including:
  • Meglitinides
  • Biguanides
  • Sulfonylureas
  • Thiazolidinediones
  • Alpha glucosidase inhibitors
  • Dipeptidyl peptidase inhibitors
  • Ergot alkaloids 
  • Sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors (SGLT2 inhibitors)
  • Bile acid sequestrants
  • Combination medications.
Meglitinides are similar to sulfonylureas, in that they force the pancreas to make more insulin. However, they are short-acting and are less likely to cause dangerously low blood sugar. They are usually taken before every meal. In addition to Prandin, one other meglitinide -- nateglinide (Starlix®) -- is available.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.