Diabetes Home > NovoLog Mix 50/50 Overdose
If you use too much NovoLog Mix 50/50, overdose effects can be life-threatening. An overdose can be caused by misjudging how much insulin is needed and by not eating immediately after taking a dose. Overdosing on this medication may cause low blood sugar, which could result in cold sweats, extreme hunger, difficulty speaking, or loss of consciousness.
NovoLog® Mix 50/50 (insulin aspart protamine/insulin aspart) is a mixed form of insulin that contains an intermediate-acting insulin in combination with a rapid-acting insulin. As with all insulins, an overdose with NovoLog Mix 50/50 can be life-threatening. The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the NovoLog Mix 50/50 dosage, dietary or exercise changes, and whether the insulin was taken with any other medications or substances.
An overdose of NovoLog Mix 50/50 can be caused by several factors, including misjudging how much insulin is needed. Also, not eating after taking a dose of the medication may result in overdose symptoms, even if an appropriate dosage was taken.
An overdose can cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia), which can be quite dangerous. Some of the early symptoms of low blood sugar include:
- Extreme hunger
- Cold sweats
- Blurry vision.
More severe, later symptoms include:
- Difficulty speaking
- Loss of consciousness
- Changes in behavior, such as irritability
- Loss of coordination
- Loss of life.
You may find that you have your own unique set of low blood sugar symptoms. Anytime you suspect you have low blood sugar levels, make sure to take immediate action. Also, it is a good idea to let others around you know how to spot your particular signs of low blood sugar (and how to react), since you may be too confused (due to low blood sugar) to recognize the signs and respond adequately.