Diabetes Home > Metformin
Alternatives to MetforminIn general, type 2 diabetes treatment begins with lifestyle changes (for example, weight loss, exercise, and diet). If lifestyle changes alone are not effective at managing diabetes, medication, such as metformin, may be necessary.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) (see Metformin and Blood Sugar)
- Lactic acidosis (see Metformin and Lactic Acidosis)
- Fast heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Muscle pain
- Trouble breathing
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Feeling cold
- Slow or irregular heartbeat.