Diabetes Home > Benefits of Metformin
There are several possible metformin benefits, such as decreasing hemoglobin A1c levels, lowering total cholesterol, and increasing fertility in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). However, as with any medication, there are possible side effects of metformin, and taking metformin is not without risk. Prior to taking metformin, talk to your healthcare provider about the benefits and risks of taking the medication.
Possible Metformin Benefits: An OverviewMetformin (Glucophage®) is a prescription medication licensed for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. In addition to lowering blood sugar, metformin may have additional benefits, including the following:
- Decreasing hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels
- Helping with weight loss
- Lowering total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL cholesterol ("bad cholesterol")
- Raising HDL cholesterol ("good cholesterol")
- Increasing fertility in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Decreasing miscarriages in women with PCOS.