Diabetes Home > Metanx Overdose
The effects of a Metanx overdose will vary, based on how much of the supplement was taken and whether it was taken with any other substances. Some possible overdose effects may include sleep problems, confusion, or nausea. Treatment options may involve providing supportive care or "pumping the stomach" to reduce the amount of vitamins absorbed.
Can You Take Too Much Metanx?Metanx® is a combination vitamin product used to manage certain blood vessel problems associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. It may also be used to manage hyperhomocysteinemia (high blood levels of homocysteine). As with any medication, it is probably possible to take too much Metanx.
Although the specific effects of a Metanx overdose are unknown, they would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Metanx dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseAt this time, it is not clear exactly what to expect from a Metanx overdose. This supplement contains active forms of folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. Based on the possible effects of an overdose of these vitamins, an overdose on Metanx may cause the following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach swelling
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Sleep problems
- Problems concentrating
- Mental changes, such as irritability, over activity or excitability, depression, and confusion
- Unstable gait
- Numbness of the feet, hands, and mouth area
- Tingling or pricking sensations.
Numbness, tingling, and pricking sensations are more likely to occur with long-term use of vitamin B6 (one of the vitamins in Metanx) in high doses, as opposed to a one-time large dose. The symptoms will subside when the vitamin is stopped, although it may take up to six months for the symptoms to disappear completely.