Diabetes Home > Invokana Dosage
Your prescribed dose of Invokana will depend on how well your blood sugar levels are controlled, other medications you are taking, and other factors. The starting dosage for treating type 2 diabetes is 100 mg once a day, before your first meal of the day. This amount may be increased to 300 mg if necessary.
The dose of Invokana® (canagliflozin) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended starting Invokana dosage for treating type 2 diabetes in adults is 100 mg once a day, before the first meal of the day. If necessary to control your blood sugar, and only if your kidney function is adequate, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to 300 mg once a day before the first meal of the day.
No dosage adjustment is necessary for mild kidney problems. However, if you have moderate kidney function impairment, the maximum dose is 100 mg a day. Invokana is not recommended at all for people with severe kidney impairment.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Invokana include the following:
- Invokana comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- Take this medication shortly before the first meal of the day, as the drug tends to decrease blood sugar levels after meals.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.