As with any medicine, insulin
can cause side effects. The most important side effect that can occur with insulin is low blood sugar levels, although other problems are also possible. It is important to understand how to recognize and deal with the possible side effects of insulin.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with insulin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of insulin side effects with you.)
Possible Insulin Side Effects
Insulin is known to cause a few different side effects, such as:
- Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) if too much is taken
- High blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia) if too little is taken
- Weight gain (see Insulin and Weight Gain)
- A skin reaction at the site of the injection
- Skin thickening or pitting at the site of the injection.