Diabetes Home > Insulin
Side Effects of InsulinAs with any medicine, insulin can cause side effects. Possible side effects of this diabetes medication (as well as all other forms of insulin) include, but are not limited to:
- A skin reaction at the injection site
- Low blood sugar levels
- Thickening or pitting of the skin at the injection site
- Weight gain (see Insulin and Weight Gain).
Drug InteractionsInsulin can potentially interact with a number of other medicines (see Insulin Drug Interactions).
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Insulin?Talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Insulin and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Insulin and Breastfeeding).