Diabetes Home > Glyburide Alternatives

Glyburide alternatives for the treatment of type 2 diabetes include lifestyle changes, other oral diabetes medications, and insulin or other injectable diabetes medications. Lifestyle changes may encompass weight loss or dietary changes. Other diabetes medications include thiazolidinediones, biguanides, and meglitinides. If side effects are bothersome, or if diabetes is not adequately controlled with glyburide, alternatives such as these may be considered.

Glyburide Alternatives: An Overview

Glyburide (DiaBeta®, Glynase®, or Micronase®) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is part of a group of diabetes medications called sulfonylureas. Glyburide is generally effective in treating diabetes, and most people tolerate it well. However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur, or the medicine may not completely control diabetes. Fortunately, several glyburide alternatives are available.
Some of these alternatives include:
  • Lifestyle changes
  • Other oral diabetes medications (see Diabetes Medication)
  • Insulin and other injectable diabetes medications.

Glyburide Alternatives: Lifestyle Changes

Many lifestyle changes have been shown to be effective in controlling type 2 diabetes (especially early type 2 diabetes). These lifestyle changes include:
In fact, these changes are important for all people with type 2 diabetes, including people taking diabetes drugs.
For some people, lifestyle changes alone may not be enough to adequately control type 2 diabetes. In these cases, medications (including oral and injectable medications) may be necessary.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.