It is possible to overdose on Lantus (insulin glargine). However, the specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken, dietary or exercise changes, and whether Lantus was taken with any other substances. Some of the symptoms of an overdose include signs of low blood sugar, such as blurry vision, extreme hunger, and shakiness. Treatment will involve supportive care.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much Lantus?
Lantus® (insulin glargine) is an injectable medication used to treat diabetes (including both type 1 and type 2 diabetes). It is a long-acting form of insulin.
As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Lantus. The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Lantus dosage, dietary or exercise changes, and whether Lantus was taken with any other medications or substances. As with all insulins, an overdose with Lantus can cause life-threatening complications.
Symptoms of an Overdose With LantusA Lantus overdose can cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia). Some of the early symptoms of low blood sugar can include:
- Extreme hunger
- Cold sweats
- Blurry vision.
More severe symptoms can include:
- Changes in behavior, such as irritability
- Loss of coordination
- Difficulty speaking
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of life.
You may find that you have your own unique set of low blood sugar symptoms. Any time you suspect that you have low blood sugar levels, make sure to take immediate action. Also, it is a good idea to let others around you know how to spot your particular signs of low blood sugar and how to react, as you may be too confused, due to low blood sugar, to recognize the signs and respond adequately.