Humulin R Overdose
As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Humulin R (regular insulin). Overdose effects will vary depending on several factors, but an overdose is likely to cause low blood sugar. Symptoms of low blood sugar include blurry vision, dizziness, and shakiness. Treatment for a Humulin R overdose will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Overdose on Humulin R?Humulin® R (regular insulin) is an injectable medication used to treat diabetes (including both type 1 and type 2 diabetes). It is a short-acting form of insulin. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Humulin R. As with all insulins, an overdose with Humulin R can be life-threatening. The specific effects of a Humulin R overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Humulin R dosage, dietary or exercise changes, and whether the insulin was taken with any other medications or substances.
Overdoses with short-acting insulins (such as Humulin R) are typically more dangerous than overdoses with a long-acting insulin. An overdose of Humulin R can be caused by several factors, including misjudging how much insulin is needed for a particular meal. Also, not eating after taking a dose of Humulin R may result in an overdose, since Humulin R is designed to control blood sugar after a meal. A Humulin R overdose can cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia), which can be quite dangerous. Some of the early symptoms of low blood sugar include:
- Extreme hunger
- Cold sweats
- Blurry vision.
More severe symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Changes in behavior, such as irritability
- Loss of coordination
- Difficulty speaking
- Loss of life.
You may find that you have your own unique set of low blood sugar symptoms. Any time you suspect you have low blood sugar levels, make sure to take immediate action. Also, it is a good idea to let others around you know how to spot your particular signs of low blood sugar (and how to react), since you may be too confused (due to low blood sugar) to recognize the signs and respond adequately.