A Humalog (insulin lispro) overdose can occur if you misjudge the amount of insulin needed for a meal or if you do not eat after taking your dosage. This can result in extreme hunger, blurry vision, cold sweats, or shakiness. Severe symptoms of a Humalog overdose may also include loss of coordination, seizures, or coma. Treatment for an overdose will likely involve supportive care.
Overdosing on Humalog: An Overview
Humalog® (insulin lispro) is an injectable medication used to treat diabetes (including both type 1 and type 2 diabetes). It is a rapid-acting form of insulin. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Humalog. An overdose with Humalog can be life-threatening, as can an overdose of any insulin medication. The specific effects of a Humalog overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Humalog dosage, dietary or exercise changes, and whether Humalog was taken with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of a Humalog Overdose
A Humalog overdose can be caused by several factors, including misjudging how much insulin is needed for a particular meal. Also, not eating after taking a dose of Humalog may result in an overdose, since the medication is designed to control blood sugar after a meal. Overdosing on Humalog can cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia), which can be quite dangerous. Some of the early symptoms of low blood sugar include:
- Cold sweats
- Extreme hunger
- Blurry vision.
More severe symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Changes in behavior, such as irritability
- Loss of coordination
- Difficulty speaking
- Loss of life.
You may find that you have your own unique set of low blood sugar symptoms. Anytime you suspect you have low blood sugar levels, make sure to take immediate action. Also, it is a good idea to let others around you know how to spot your particular signs of low blood sugar and how to react, since you may be too confused (due to low blood sugar) to recognize the signs and respond adequately.