Humalog Mix50/50 Dosage
There is no standard dose of Humalog Mix50/50 that will work for the same person in all situations. Your blood sugar levels and the carbohydrate content of your meals are some of the factors your healthcare provider will consider when recommending an appropriate dosage. Humalog Mix50/50 should be taken immediately before meals, within 15 minutes before you start eating.
The dose of Humalog® Mix50/50 (insulin lispro protamine/insulin lispro) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your blood sugar levels
- Your current dose of other insulins
- The carbohydrate content of your meals
- Other medications you are taking, including other diabetes medications
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosing for Humalog Mix50/50 must be individualized for each person. There is no "standard" Humalog Mix50/50 dose that will work for all people or even for the same person in all situations. The medication is made up of two different insulins: 50 percent intermediate-acting (insulin lispro protamine) and 50 percent rapid-acting (insulin lispro). It is typically taken within 15 minutes before the start of each meal.
Your healthcare provider may ask you to measure your blood sugar before and after meals, and may also recommend carbohydrate counting. Both of these things can help you and your healthcare provider know how to adjust your Humalog Mix50/50 dose.
Considerations for people taking Humalog Mix50/50 include the following:
- This diabetes medication comes in injectable form. It is injected just under the skin (subcutaneously) immediately before meals, within 15 minutes before you start eating.
- Your healthcare provider should show you exactly how to inject Humalog Mix50/50. It can be injected into the skin and fat layer of the abdomen (stomach), upper arm, or thigh. Choose one of these three areas, and rotate injection sites within your chosen area.
- This insulin comes in vials or KwikPen™ prefilled pens. To use the vials, you will need insulin syringes (with needles attached). To use the pen devices, you will need specific types of needles known as "pen needles." Each time you inject Humalog Mix50/50, you need to use a new needle.
- Humalog Mix50/50 comes as a suspension that settles between doses. You must "resuspend" the insulin before each injection. For the vials, shake or rotate them until the insulin is uniformly cloudy. For the pens, be sure to follow the instructions specific to your particular pen device.
- Never mix Humalog Mix50/50 with any other insulin in the same syringe.
- For this diabetes drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Make sure to monitor your blood sugar levels as your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Humalog Mix50/50 dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.