What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Byetta if you have:
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- A history of pancreatitis
- A history of diabetic ketoacidosis (a life-threatening condition that may occur with uncontrolled diabetes)
- Diabetic gastroparesis (a slowing of the digestive tract due to diabetes)
- Other digestive tract conditions
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Byetta and Pregnancy)
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Byetta Warnings and Precautions for more information on this topic, including information on who should not take this medication.)
Alternatives to ByettaIn general, type 2 diabetes treatment begins with lifestyle changes (such as weight loss, exercise, and diet). If lifestyle changes alone are not effective at managing diabetes, medication, such as Byetta, may be necessary.
The main goal of diabetes medication is to lower blood sugar levels enough to reduce your risk of developing problems related to diabetes, such as heart, nerve, eye, or kidney problems. Because Byetta can lower blood sugar levels, people may be able to lower their risk for developing problems related to high blood sugar.
For most people, this medication is quite effective at controlling blood sugar. It is also generally well-tolerated. However, side effects can occur -- or the medicine may not work as well as needed. In these cases, you may need to add another diabetes medication in order to control your blood sugar. You may also wish to consider a substitute for Byetta. These substitutes can include other diabetes drugs, either by themselves or in combination.
(Click Byetta Alternatives to learn more about these alternatives. To learn about controlling diabetes through lifestyle choices, click on either of the links below: