Avandamet Side Effects
Interested in a Discount on Avandamet?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Avandamet has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Avandamet include:
- Nausea or vomiting -- in up to 16 percent of people
- Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold) -- up to 16 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 14 percent
- Headache -- up to 11 percent
- Upset stomach or heartburn -- up to 10 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent
- Injury -- up to 8 percent
- Anemia -- up to 7.1 percent
- Sinus infection or irritation -- up to 6.2 percent
- Fluid retention or water weight gain and swelling (edema) -- up to 6 percent (see Avandamet and Weight Gain)
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- up to 6 percent.
Other common Avandamet side effects (occurring in 1 percent to 6 percent of people) include:
Also, a recent study found that up to 9.3 percent of women taking Avandia® (rosiglitazone) develop broken bones -- especially of the arms, hands, or feet. Since rosiglitazone is one of the components of Avandamet, it is possible that women taking this drug may also be at risk for broken bones.