For those who are first beginning type 2 diabetes treatment with Actos, dosage recommendations generally start at 15 mg or 30 mg once a day. Your healthcare provider may increase this dose to 45 mg if necessary to control your blood sugar levels. To maintain an even level of medication in your blood, it is important to take your Actos dosage at the same time each day.
The dosage of Actos® (pioglitazone hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The starting dose for Actos is 15 mg or 30 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dosage up to 45 mg once daily to control your blood sugar.
Some considerations for people taking Actos include:
- Actos can be taken with or without food. If Actos upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Actos should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- If you do not take your Actos as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue as scheduled. Do not take a double dose of Actos.
- For Actos to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Actos will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Actos or your Actos dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Actos without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.